Talk Episode 1
SERIES: “LET’S TALK”, EP 1
SCENE - AT DAVID’S HOUSE – EVENING 7 PM
Kayitesi chats with Karangwa about David’s behaviour.
SFX: THE SOUND OF CRICKETS CHIRPING OUTSIDE
1. KAYITESI: No, Papa David, I am very worried! This kid is getting out of control! David is still a kid!
2. KARANGWA: What is it about again? He has been coming home very late?
3. KAYITESI: Huh...I wish it was just that! I think the girl who he walked home was friends with that one who was put in prison for selling weed.
4. KARANGWA:(UNHAPPY) Is that so? This kid never listens, does he? I need to teach him a lesson.
5. KAYITESI: No, calm down, papa David; anger won’t solve this.
6. KARANGWA: No! I want to hear from him if he is so old that he can disrespect us!
7. KAYITESI: Papa David, calm down first. You’ve seen it happen before; when we are angry, he doesn’t tell us the truth.
8. KARANGWA: So, shall I just keep quiet when my son is out there hanging out with criminals?
9. KAYITESI: No, I am not telling you to keep quiet.
10. KARANGWA: So what are you saying?
11. KAYITESI: We need to find a way to talk to him in a way that will make him feel safe to talk openly.
12. KARANGWA: But look around, Mama David; he clearly doesn’t even listen to us when we talk him.
13. KAYITESI:(UTTERS A SOUND OF SADNESS) I know, but I talked to a parent who told me that if we could make David our friend, he would listen to us, and he would not keep secrets from us.
14. KARANGWA: Okaaay! But how do we go about it?
15. KAYITESI: Let’s try. (CALLING) David, David!
16. DAVID:(SPEAKING FROM FAR) Yes, mom!
17. KAYITESI: Come over here, I have a question!
18. DAVID: Ehh, mom did I do something wrong?
19. KAYITESI: No, you did nothing wrong, I just want us to talk about the people I see you hanging out with, especially the girl who paid you a visit days ago.
20. DAVID:(VERY SHY) M…mom, her name is Kalisa, and she is just a friend!
21. KAYITESI: Really? Since when?
22. DAVID: Eh, it’s been a while. Why? Is there a problem?
23. KAYITESI: Not exactly, but David, it’s important for us to know your friends, and how they behave.
24. DAVID: Eeh, why is that?
25. KAYITESI: We are just worried about who they might be. You need to be careful when you choose friends.
26. DAVID: Yes mom, I will be careful, but we do nothing bad. She’s actually a good person.
27. KAYITESI: Good! Papa David, do you have anything else to add?
28. KARANGWA: Son, I get you now, but we were also worried about that boy you were hanging out with because he was recently in jail for selling drugs.
29. DAVID: Wow, I didn't realise you are so concerned about me! I didn’t know about that. I will stay away from him.
30. Karangwa: Thanks, son. You are right to stay away. Bad friends can be a bad influence. Also, in the future, feel free to bring your friends here so we can meet them.
31. KAYITESI: Wow! It's really great to talk openly. Let’s do it more often.