Talk Episode 2
SERIES: “LET’S TALK”, EP 2
INT – AT CYNTHIA’S – NOON
Cynthia chats with her mom Kamariza
I. THE SOUND OF BOILING FOOD
1. KAMARIZA: The potatoes are almost done cooking...
II. THE SOUND OF COVERING A CASSEROLE
2. CYNTHIA: Thank God, I am so hungry I could eat a horse!
3. KAMARIZA: It’s normal. Kids like you get hungry every moment. I don't think I ever had a full stomach when I was your age!
THEY BOTH LAUGH
4. CYNTHIA:(LAUGHING) If I could only see you when you were a young girl! I bet you were such a troublemaker.
5. KAMARIZA:(LAUGHING) No, I wasn’t. But speaking of that, there is something I want us to talk about, Cynthia.
6. CYNTHIA: What is it, mom?
7. KAMARIZA: Well, your dad and I are worried about what you spend your days doing.
8. CYNTHIA:(CONFUSED) Why? What are you worried about?
9. KAMARIZA: That you might get pregnant. I’ve noticed how you’ve been acting.
10. CYNTHIA:(SURPRISED) What?! Mom!!
11. KAMARIZA: Don’t even try to deny that! Like, what are you up to with that guy? Is he your boyfriend?
12. CYNTHIA: David? He’s my friend, mom. We used to be classmates.
13. KAMARIZA: A friend, you say? Cynthia, don’t you know how those special friendships at your age end up?!
CYNTHIA KEEPS QUIET
14. KAMARIZA: The next thing you know, you will be getting pregnant.
15. CYNTHIA: Mom, that’s not what I want.
16. KAMARIZA: Well... then beware!
17. CYNTHIA: Okaay...what does that mean?
18. KAMARIZA:(CONFUSED) Uh, what? Don't you know 'the facts of life?!
19. CYNTHIA: Well, I only know what my friends say and what I learn from social media.
20. KAMARIZA: What? You can’t trust that kind of information! Social media is full of lies.
21. CYNTHIA: Well, mom, it’s not like you are ever around for me to talk to...
22. KAMARIZA:(SIGHS) I suppose. But you can talk to me, okay? Don’t be afraid to ask me anything.
23. CYNTHIA: I’ll try. It’s just going to feel so uncomfortable...
24. KAMARIZA: It doesn’t have to, okay? I imagine you have so much to ask!
25. CYNTHIA: (EXCITED) You have no idea mom. I have been curious about so many things.
26. KAMARIZA: Oh, about what for example?
27. CYNTHIA: Well, about periods, my body’s changes, and about preventing pregnancy.
28. KAMARIZA: Please ask me, ok? I will give you the information you can trust. Turi kumwe. We are together!